Monday, January 18, 2016

ASKING FOR HELP



There are those that believe a preacher simply preaches the message she needs to hear. Perhaps there is some truth to this, and perhaps a writer only writes what they need to read… but are any of you stressed this season?

I wish I was not – I truly do, I wish that Christmas was all magic and that winter was all wonderland. I wish that school breaks brought nothing but the joy I remember from childhood and that gifts magically appeared under the tree. I wish I was always on the same page with everyone and I wish that I could just be helpful and caring and loving to everyone.

I am, however, having trouble with all of these things.

There are days when I think I must be the only one who allows negativity to get the better of me, or the only one who over reacts and causes fights with people. It helps a little to know I am not the only one, though. So I imagine there are a few others like me out there – maybe because I need to.

I blame the Bible! Okay, this may seem like a stretch but hear me out… I try to live my life following in the footsteps and teaching of Jesus and all those wise prophets and holy folks from the Bible. 

Somewhere along the line Sunday school or sermons left the impression on me that to be holy, to be good, one had to be without sin. If I want to be Jesus I have to love and accept everyone, right? I never feel anger or worry or fear, I never fight with anyone and I respect my parents, widows and orphans while healing the sick and finding the lost, and then I am a good person.

Like many religious people I have suffered from a black and white way of looking at the world. As an aside, google this, it is fascinating, the more religious you are the less you are the more you suffer from this… And so if I could not be perfect, I have failed, right?

The problem is, being depressed, asking for help, getting angry are all very real parts of the religious journey, even for our Biblical heroes. The prophet Elijah threw in the towel and went to hide in a cave and be alone because of the pressure he was under. Jonah was afraid to go and preach in Ninevah. Jesus himself left the crowds and tried to hide by walking along the seashore, got angry at temple salesmen and Samaritan women, and felt completely out of his depth when begging God to let him live in the Garden of Gethsemane. Islam has its own version of all of this when you consider that the Prophet Mohammed needed to get away from everyone regularly and headed to the cave at Mira. In fact, it was there that Gabriel gave him the Qur’an.

But this is not the way we usually look at our biblical figures. We usually see them as strong and sure role models who call us to be just like them and leave our worries behind. And when we buy into that it is only going to make it worse.

I know this is not very Christmassy, but I think the whole Christmas season builds stress in some of us and so I am hoping that maybe this helps a few people think about it a different way. Jesus was not born into a world to be perfect, he was born into an imperfect world as an imperfect person who happened to have a plan to help us do this life thing better.

If we let go of the myth that we, and everything else, can be perfect, perhaps we will be able to find it easier to deal with the negative emotions of the season.

No comments: